In 1926 a picture of a simply cut black dress by Coco Chanel was published in US Vogue. Vogue editors named the dress the “Ford” after the era’s black Model T automobile, predicting that the straight, long-sleeved design in unlined crèpe de chine accented with four diagonal stripes would “become sort of a uniform for all women of taste”, and the little black dress was born.
The little black dress, or LBD as it’s more affectionately known, was an instant hit and Chanel, who believed black was the definition of simple elegance, disregarded conventions, and helped take the colour, which up until then had only been associated with mourning, into everyday wear.
The little black dress has gone on to be a wardrobe staple for many women, and it’s rare for me to makeover a client’s wardrobe without finding a LBD among the garments.
With that in mind I’ve taken a classic black wrap dress, by Jasper Conran that’s available from Debenhams for £65 and styled it five different ways to show you how you can get the most from your LBD.
- Red and black are a classic combination and in the first outfit I’ve teamed the dress with a pillar box red jacket from Marks and Spencers for £69, a striking red bag (you will find similar bags at Debenhams) black court shoes and pearls.
2. In the second image I’ve styled the dress with a faux fur grey gilet from John Lewis, a bag from Debenhams and comfortable grey suede boots also from John Lewis which are currently in the sale for £74.
3. If you’re a fashionista team your little black dress with a leather biker style Jigsaw jacket which is available at John Lewis, a black patent bag, leopard print shoes and a striking pendant.
4. Chunky boots, a denim jacket, rucksack and layered necklaces give this LBD a cool rock chick vibe. The jacket is from J D Williams and is £30, while the boots are by Ugg and the rucksack is from Debenhams.
5. Finally a little black dress can easily be dressed up for a party by simply adding silver or gold accessories and diamante jewellery. The necklace, shawl and bag are both from Debenhams and the sandals are from Dune.
So there are five ideas to help you style your little black dress and to get it working hard for you in your wardrobe. I’d love to know how you style your LBD, so leave a comment below.
For lots more styling tips and advice join my Facebook group Stylish Confident You here.